July 24, 2021
Florida Gov. Signs House Bill Three and Announces $270M in Investments to Improve Student Literacy | Florida Newswire
FORT PIERCE, Fla. /Florida Newswire/ — On Thursday (July 22), Governor Ron DeSantis celebrated the signing of House Bill Three and launched that Florida is investing $270 million in literacy initiatives all by means of the state. On June 29, Governor DeSantis signed HB 3, creating the “New Worlds Reading Initiative,” Florida’s first statewide information distribution program. Through this new program, children in kindergarten by way of fifth grade who’re learning beneath grade diploma are eligible to acquire free, high-quality books delivered on to their residence. In addition to the New Worlds Reading Initiative, which represents a $200 million funding, Florida might be utilizing an extra $71 million to fund and assist totally different obligatory literacy initiatives. Together, these initiatives full a larger than $270 million funding.
“As a father of three youthful children, I would really like every baby to have the possibility to realize their full potential,” said Governor DeSantis. “The largest distinction we’re capable of make in setting Florida children up for achievement is making certain they know be taught. I’m proud to have an excellent time these investments in literacy in the mean time that assure every pupil – irrespective of their socio-economic standing – has entry to free, high-quality books. Thank you to Representative Trabulsy, Senator Burgess, Speaker Sprowls and President Simpson for prioritizing Florida’s children.”
“Literacy is foundational to learning and is likely to be primarily probably the most pressing topic coping with our faculty college students in the mean time,” said Commissioner of Education Richard Corcoran. “Education is freedom – the great equalizer. Research reveals that providing books to school college students every empowers dad and mother to engage with their baby’s learning actions and improves the scholar’s learning talents. I deeply respect Governor DeSantis’ and legislative leaders’ think about learning and literacy, and putting our faculty college students on a path to an vital life.”
“Governor DeSantis has made entry to top quality education and early learning a priority in his administration, and the work he and Commissioner Corcoran have carried out could have a constructive affect on faculty college students for generations to come back again,” said Speaker Chris Sprowls. “The profound affect providing books and provides to empower children and folks is immeasurable. If one information serves to encourage one baby or enable one family to interrupt the cycle of generational poverty so many struggling readers face, then every second spent on this initiative could have been value it. This legal guidelines would not have been attainable if not for the laborious work of members like Representative Trabulsy, Chairman Latvala, and naturally, our companions inside the Senate. All of us are devoted to creating positive every baby in Florida has the devices, freedom, and expertise to achieve their full educational potential.”
“Reading is the first software program inside the toolbox for a child to assemble the inspiration of a larger life,” said Senator Danny Burgess. “As a father to a couple youthful children, I do know that learning helps them to find the world contained in the pages and opens their minds to higher potentialities. Thank you Governor DeSantis for signing this obligatory bill, and due to President Simpson and Speaker Sprowls for championing childhood literacy.”
“Reading is the vital factor to unlocking a world of potentialities,” said Representative Dana Trabulsy. “The New Worlds Reading Initiative extends entry to books, partnerships and devices for faculty college students and folks to realize their educational targets. I’m grateful to Governor Ron DeSantis and Speaker Chris Sprowls for prioritizing constructive components in literacy and investing in an progressive methodology to empowering Florida’s faculty college students to realize their full potential.”
Funding for The New Worlds Reading Initiative, created by HB 3, totals $200 million. This funding will most likely be used for information distribution, which helps improve literacy and shut achievement gaps as a part of Florida’s goal to be the #1 state for literacy inside the nation.
Florida might be investing an extra $71 million to fund and assist totally different obligatory literacy initiatives aimed towards enhancing pupil achievement by way of the utilization of CRRSA ESSER II funds:
- $61 million to assist direct pupil interventions, along with centered explicit particular person or small group literacy tutoring for faculty college students in kindergarten by way of first grade;
- $4 million to provide elementary school principals and assistant principals with environment friendly practices to help them think about enhancing literacy inside their schools;
- $Three million for Literacy Coach Boot Camps to boost the skills and proficiency of literacy coaches; and
- $2.Eight million to proceed statewide progress monitoring by way of the Department of Education for grades Ok-8.
With the New Worlds Reading Initiative and CRRSA ESSER II funding, Governor DeSantis, legislative leaders and Commissioner Corcoran are establishing on the nice investments already made in education this yr:
- In early May, Governor DeSantis signed two funds, HBs 419 and HB 7011, which allow districts to utilize current allocations to fund intensive interventions for Prekindergarten faculty college students, create a coordinated system of statewide literacy assist and create a model new initiative to recruit highschool rising seniors to operate literacy tutors for struggling Kindergarten by way of third grade faculty college students.
- In the Florida Leads funds, Florida allotted $215 million to provide lecturers and principals with $1,000 funds in recognition of their dedication to Florida’s faculty college students all by means of the 2020-2021 school yr.
- Also inside the Florida Leads funds, Florida allotted one different $550 million – an increase of $50 million – to extra its dedication to elevating the minimal teacher wage to $47,500; and
- Florida used $35 million in CARES Act funding ultimate school yr for literacy initiatives.
- $5 million to assemble functionality for learning by designing, deploying and monitoring teacher and faculty chief expert development trainings. (CARES ESSER I)
- $5 million to deploy Regional Support Teams to assist and reinforce expert development and coaching fashions deployed on a statewide basis. (CARES ESSER I)
- $5 million to develop and put together Regional Literacy Coaches to provide assist and steering to district lecturers inside the classroom. (CARES ESSER I)
- $20 million to help districts undertake and implement Florida’s new B.E.S.T. Standards aligned curriculum and supplemental instructional provides to drive instructing and learning in learning for Grades Ok-3. (CARES ESSER I)
SOURCE: Office of Governor Ron DeSantis